Monday 2 December 2013

Luminous Light – Knitwear Project - First Post

Design Brief

For my first project at University I had to create 10-15 knit samples inspired by aspects of the campus' architecture and structures.  Focusing on these areas, I went in search of unusual or interesting features, specifically looking for textures that it might have been possible to replicate using knit.  I looked at aspects such as metal work, roofing and steps, because of the clear geometric and linear nature of these areas.


The two photographs above show an example.  The image on the left shows a distinct pattern that was found on the back of a chair in the lower concourse and on the right is a photo of a knit-sample that I created in response.  In the knit-sample I have achieved the linear effect by hand manipulation on the knitting machine in a process known as 'hooking up'.

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment