Thursday 30 April 2015

Venice Project Overview

Back in October 2014 our group visited Venice to gather inspiration for our first project of the second year. Below are photos of the knitting and construction of my final outfit of the Venice project which was made up of a crop top and culottes. This was the first knitted outfit I have ever attempted to make. 

The sleeves for my top took a very long time to knit as the lace carriage wouldn't work with my yarn. Instead of using the lace carriage I transferred each stitch by hand to create all of the lace holes. The crop-top was relatively straight-forward to knit although it was also the first time that I had knitted a hem.

The culottes consisted of four identical knitted lengths of fabric which featured a complicated pattern made of five different yarns, each with their own colour and texture.

Considering this was the first knitted outfit I've made, I was extremely pleased with the final result.

The knit for the sleeves still on the knitting machine

A close up of the sleeve knit

Hooking up the hem of the crop top

Knitting on the machine for the culottes

The final four pieces of knit for the culottes

Laying my pattern onto the fabric of the crop top

Pinning the fabric of the culottes ready to be steamed

Another piece of fabric pinned ready to be steamed

Marking out pattern pieces ready to cut

Pattern pieces marked out to be cut

Sleeve material marked out ready to be cut

The waistband of the culottes on the linking machine

The final garment with all of the supporting work

Samples and toiles

No comments:

Post a Comment