Wednesday 4 February 2015

Latest Project - Blue


Yarn Dyeing

This week was the first week of my new project which focuses on the colour blue. As a knitter, we are required to dye our own yarns which we will come to use later on in the project. This week saw me experimenting with different types of yarn and dye to find a suitable combination to use.

I'm not particularly comfortable with being in the print room and dyeing but it turned out to be much more enjoyable than I initially thought that it would be. It was a good experience and the group shared ideas and I got some interesting results from my experiments.  Below are some photos of the day.



The skeins of yarn I made ready to be dyed.



 All of the skeins the group made to be dyed split up into yarn types - wools, cottons, silks, polyester etc..





On the left I am using navy acid dye and on the right Karen is washing out yarns.





Above is Karen indigo dyeing and on the right is Nicole using procion dye.





I wanted a dip dye effect so here I am using procion dye and dipping half and half into different shades.





Here are some of the different results we all got from this workshop.





 On the right are all my yarns that I bought and dyed.



I am hoping to write some more blog posts in the future to show some of the further steps of this project.

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment